My ‘To Brew’ List

It’s an exciting time to be at Tea and That HQ, or ‘my house’ as it’s more commonly known.  Why? I hear you ask.  Because the kitchen cupboards are packed full of new teas for me to try and write about of course!

Despite leaving very little space for other kitchen produce, like food for example, having a certified tea hoard can be a great thing. It means you always have a brew for whatever mood you’re in, and if someone pops round for a cuppa, you can offer up your smorgasbord of loose leaf delights, making your kitchen resemble some kind of oriental market in the process!  Like any good collection, it only gets even better when you add to it too.  So let’s see some of the new additions that will be making their way on to the tea blog soon then!

Since declaring my love for Leaf on Bold St. in Liverpool, an amazing tea shop, venue and general cool-place-to-be, I’ve been lucky enough to receive a bunch of samples in the post from their manager, Jennie.  You can read all about my visit to Leaf here.  Leaf blend all of their teas themselves and look to offer new creations as often as they can.  They even have a Tea of the Week to highlight their latest blends which is a great way for tea addicts like me to try something new.

Inside the little parcel of joy was a rooibos based take on Earl Grey, named ‘Earl of Africa’, ‘Leaves, Root & Rind’ which is a black tea flavoured with licorice root and orange rind, and a seriously interesting sounding blend of fennel, caraway and licorice, with a base of chamomile and perppermint.  Jennie also popped in a couple of samples which aren’t even available on the shelves yet so I can’t wait to give those a try!

IMG_0444

On the weekend I popped into my local tea shop in Chester, Bollands, which sits above the high street on the famous Rows.  It’s a great store stocked floor to ceiling with an amazing range of teas and coffees and I’ve been really looking forward to picking up a something nice from there.  I decided upon a first flush Darjeeling from the Namring Tea Estate.  Despite often being referred to as ‘the champagne of teas’, I’ve surprisingly only tried it a couple of times, and have never reviewed any for the website! And I call myself a tea blogger.  I’m really looking forward to tasting this one and to see whether it lives up to its moniker.

Chocolate chai close up 2

As well as all of these, I’ve also got a couple of types of Chai to write about from Adagio Teas. I find these spicy specialties are perfect for warming up with during this lingering British winter, and both offer something slightly different form the norm, with one infused with chocolate and the other coconut.

All in all, I’ve got lots to be cracking on with.  The only problem is, which do I try first?

Have you got any tea suggestions for me to try? Have you recently bought any exciting blends?  Please leave your comments below, I’d love to hear from you.

Advertisements

18 Comments Add yours

1. wren08 says:

Since I don’t actually like champagne (to me it tastes like the mistake it was) I consider Darjeeling to be far and above champagne! I’ve got a Master’s sample on the way from Adagio of a Darjeeling but even grocery store tea bags of Darjeeling are delightful- can’t wait to hear how the first flush one is!

1. Rory says:

I must admit I’m not a huge fan myself!
      Oh really? I’m sure that’ll be a very nice one. I’m looking forward to giving this one a try!

2. anisakazemi says:

Haha love the title! I had a really yummy edible tea the other day.. basically it was just a small jar of dried fruits and possibly spices and other things but what I liked about it was that once you drank the tea, you could then eat all of the fruit pieces! I wanna try make one myself… help?

1. Rory says:

Hey Anisa, I don’t know how I missed this comment, sorry for being so late to reply!
      That fruit tea sounds great, I’ve never heard of anything like that before! I’d say experiment, experiment, experiment! (And let us all know how it goes and how to make it of course)

Liked by 1 person

3. I once had a Darjeeling at the Veeraswamy restaurant in London that really demonstrated why it gets called the champagne of teas. Sadly all I can remember is that it was gorgeous, a single estate tea, and cost more than its bubbly alcohol based namesake!

Tea anorak that I am I’m all excited about the prospect of finally having time to sit down and enjoy the spring bud Longjing and 10 year old Pu-erh I bought the other weekend…

1. Rory says:

It’s a shame that you can’t remember the name, it sounds like a great example of a Darjeeling. I have noticed they can be quite pricy too though!
      They are definitely worth looking forward to in my opinion, I really need to get some good quality Pu Erh to try.

Liked by 1 person

1. I mentioned it to my wife and she thinks we still might have the receipt from the restaurant visit somewhere, which maybe has the name of the tea on it. Fingers crossed… 🙂

Liked by 1 person

4. sjones987 says:

As a lifelong pg tips drinker I am intrigued by the incredible variety that seems to be available and would like to get a bit more adventurous. Any suggestions where a novice proper tea drinker should start?

1. Rory says:

There are some amazing and fascinating teas out there to try so I would definitely encourage you to branch out!
      A number of tea sellers and online suppliers will offer small sample packs which is a great way to try a number of teas without committing to one in particular.
      I started with a sample of Chinese black teas from Adagio Teas, if you check out my website you can find the article there with links. I figured as it was the birthplace of tea it would be a good place to start. Loose leaf black teas from India might be good to try to as they won’t be too far away from what you are used to, but will have a whole lot more flavour to them!
      I hope this helps, just ask if you would like any more advice!

1. sjones987 says:

Thank you Rory. Will order the silk road sampler and see how I go! Sharon

Liked by 1 person

2. Rory says:

I hope you enjoy it! Let me know what you think.

3. sjones987 says:

Hi Rory, quick question about water. Do you use a filter or straight from the tap, or bottle? Haven’t ordered the selection yet, found a sampler in the sale in Whittards of 24 different teas. I know its bags rather than leaf, but so far I am enjoying it so its a good start and how do you pronounce rooibos?

4. Rory says:

I’m quite lucky and have a filter tap at home, if not I’d probably just go straight from the tap but I have heard that filtered can result in a better quality brew.
        Ah brilliant, what varieties do you have in there?
        It’s a tricky one isn’t it? I believe it is pronounced roy-boss, that’s what I go for anyway!

5. sjones987 says:

Not 24, 12. Never could count! Have tried so far Jasmine, Spice Imperial, English Rose, Marrakech mint and Rooibos. Have enjoyed all of them but the one that surprised me was English Rose, wasn’t expecting to like that at all. Left to try are English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Gunpowder Green, Tippy Assam, Regal Blend, Mango & Bergamot and Berry Crush. Am having all without milk and letting steep for 5 mins.
        Thanks for the instagram follow, I am maisiebeth if you hadn’t made the connection,

6. Rory says:

That sounds like a really good and varied selection and a great way to try things you might not normally think to have too. The tippy Assam sounds like one I would definitely enjoy, personally I would normally drink that one with a little bit of milk as it’s quite dark and strong but it’s all about personal preference. There’s no wrong way to drink it!
        No problem, you have some really nice pictures. I especially liked the surfing ones!

Liked by 1 person

7. sjones987 says:

I have now tried each of the teas and its been a revelation. The ones I thought I would like, the fruity ones, I didn’t. And the perfumed ones I thought I wouldn’t enjoy are actually my favourites. The rose and jasmine. I have now ordered the silk road and raj samplers from adagio and can’t wait to try them.
        Glad you liked the surfing pics. Our mutual friend introduced me to surfing, but purely as a spectator sport on my part!

8. Rory says:

Ah brilliant, it’s funny how it can turn out that way sometimes. After reading about the latest tea I tried, Silver Needle, I didn’t think I’d enjoy it but it’s actually one of my favourites so far!
        I hope you enjoy your samplers, you’ll have to let me know about the raja one as I’m yet to try it.
        Well it certainly is a great spectator sport, and highly photogenic too!

5. pinkiebag says:

Hi, lucky you. The earl of Africa sounds delightful, Chloe.

Liked by 1 person